The Timothy A. Berkebile Funeral Home located in Bedford, Pennsylvania, the County Seat for Bedford County, was purchased in 1975 from S. Alton Barefoot who started the business in 1933 on South Richard Street in the present Moose building. Mr. Barefoot purchased a home on South Juliana Street that had been built in 1810 and owned by the Lyons family and converted it into a funeral home.
In March of 1971, just out of mortuary school, Timothy Berkebile joined the business as an intern. In 1973 he became a partner and the name was changed to Barefoot-Berkebile Funeral Home. In 1975, Tim bought the business from Mr. Barefoot and changed the name to Timothy A. Berkebile Funeral Home.
Mr. Barefoot was also the Bedford County Coroner. He remained living above the funeral home until his death in 1977.
In January of 2000, Tim’s son Aaron graduated from the Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science. He then joined his father as a licensed funeral director.